Despite our best efforts to save a tooth, sometimes an extraction is the only alternative. If an extraction is necessary due to disease, decay, crowding, trauma, cracked or broken tooth, Oak Lane Family Dental is committed to providing you the most comfortable procedure possible. Prior to the extraction the dentist will numb the area to lessen any discomfort. After the extraction, you will be instructed on the post extraction regimen to follow. In most cases, a small amount of bleeding is normal. We recommend a few simple tips to make recovery easier.
- Don’t smoke.
- Avoid drinking through a straw for 24 hours.
- Rinse your mouth gently with warm salty water 24 hours after the removal to lessen normal soreness associated with extractions.
- Follow the diet your dentist suggests.
- If swelling occurs, apply a cold cloth or ice bag and contact our office.
- Brush and floss the other teeth as normal but use caution at the removal site to allow fastest healing possible.
After having an extraction these procedures and follow-up care are there for your benefit and comfort. No one likes the idea of losing a tooth; however, there are options we can provide to fill the empty space or replace the tooth. Treatment options include implants, dentures, partial dentures and bridges.
If you have any questions or want to learn more about our services, please contact Oak Lane Family Dental today at (601)587-7737.